I dare to bet, only one out of fifty Thais eats oatmeal for breakfast and knows how to eat it right and deliciously. Though, I’m one of the Thais who wasn’t raised eating oatmeal. I didn’t know how to cook it or how to eat it. I didn’t, until now that I got into the uni (aka away from ready-breakfast-by-mom). Well, it all first started with cereals. Cereals have always been my muse and to-go breakfast since I was young. However, I don’t and I can’t eat cereals everyday. I don’t think anyone can. I couldn’t bear having cold meals for every morning. Cereals are only for the days I don’t have time to fill my tummy before running to school. I was raised having sticky rice with sweet shredded pork, jasmine rice with either stir-fry veggies or omelette, sausages, and of course cereals with either milk or yogurt. I still remember I couldn’t wait for the days I get to have cereals with milk. (Days mom didn’t have enough time to prepare the food) I think the reason why I enjoy having cereals so much is because it feels indifferently from having dessert for breakfast. And man, who doesn’t enjoy that? Dessert for breakfast! It’s a dream-come-true for a kid like me. As I have said, I couldn’t bear having cold food for breakfast everyday.
Oatmeal has been wiping my tears, giving me warmth and saving my life. Imagine a warm bowl of oatmeal with shit loads of milk and drizzled with heaps of maple syrup. Mmmm… Breakfast goal.
Here are the bestest pictures of my oatmeal so far. By the way, I do prefer traditional rolled oats more than the instant oats but people, we all have the days we… ‘accidentally’ wake up late, don’t we?
sidenote: I don’t add sugar when I cooked my oats. I prefer eating them with maple syrup or chocolate instead.
- Cooked with soymilk, topped with canned peach, granola, dried cranberries, chia seeds and banana coins.
- Cooked with frozen mixed berries and soymilk, topped with frozen strawberries, canned peach, granola, and pepitas.
- cooked with smashed one banana and almond milk, topped with more bananas, granola, dried cranberries and pepitas.
- Cooked with chocolate soymilk(accidentally poured too much..) and frozen strawberries, topped with fresh strawberries, chia seeds and granola.
- Cooked with soymilk, topped with bananas, small-sized oreos and granola.
- Cooked with almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg topped with cinnamon apples and granola. I cooked my apple (one small Fuji apple) with a splash of almond milk, one teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg and a one teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Cooked with soymilk and frozen mixed berries, topped with strawberries, cinnamon apples, granola and drizzled with chocolate… yum
- Cooked with soymilk, topped with banana, raisins, granola and dried coconut. Also drizzled with heaps of maple syrup.
- Cooked with frozen mixed berries and almond milk, topped with more frozen berries, flax seeds, a pinch of cinnamon and drizzled with chocolate.
- Cooked with soymilk and frozen mixed berries and topped with bananas.